[Public-list] Re: steam

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Thu Jun 9 04:23:04 PDT 2005

As an ex-wiper on a Socony T-2 driven by steam - a Scotch boiler
powering  a turbine that produced electricity that drove the propellor,
I can say that steam is probably a little complex and bulky for an
Alberg.  I know there were steam cars, like the Stanley and the Doble,
so maybe one could be put in a 30 foot boat. Maybe check a Stanley
engine for starters. On the tanker we  re-used the fresh water, with a
condenser cooled by sea water. There was a de-aerator to take the air
out of the feed water and other complexities.

- Gordon White