[Public-list] electric repower

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 7 05:20:31 PDT 2005

Mike,

I think your range is more like 100nm

Mike Lehman
~~~_/)_/)~~_/)~~~

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Meinhold, Michael J" <MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com>
To: Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all <public-list at alberg30.org>
Subject: RE: [Public-list] electric repower
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 08:15:11 -0400

Most of the websites offering electric propulsion neglect to discuss a power
source or power storage.
Getting a reasonable motoring range out of batteries is the kicker with
electric propulsion .

The energy density of gas is about  6. kilowatt-hours / pound, and it weighs
about 6.2 pounds/gal,
so my 10 gallon gas tank stores 6*6.2*10 = 372 kilowatt-hours. I think I
have a range of about 35 NM (more experienced A30/A4 owners can correct me)

The energy density of a Lead-acid battery is about 0.03 kilowatt-hours /
pound. So to match the range provided by the gas tank, I'd need 372 / 0.03 =
12,400 lbs of batteries.

An electric drive has the potential of being a lot more efficient, but it's
not going to solve this problem.