[Public-list] electric repower, steam and diesel smell

Meinhold, Michael J MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Tue Jun 7 12:48:47 PDT 2005

Roger -
   Steam was the way boats were propelled until the internal combustion
engine matured enough to make it practical for marine application. Now you
only see steam where people have excess heat to get rid of (like a nuclear
plant) or where they have fuel they can't use in a diesel engine - crude oil
or natural gas. Steam may seem simpler, but it's just working fluid - an
energy storage medium that adds another layer of systems between combustion
and mechanical action. You have to burn something to make steam, and you
can't make steam from seawater, so you have to clean it - cleaner than
drinking water.  All this applies to a steam turbine, a reciprocating steam
engine, or a steam-based jet like Pursuit Dynamics. Since they are sending
all the steam out the jet, they have to make a lot of clean water to move a
boat.

I see what they are doing to mix sauces, but I don't see how they are
extracting the heat energy of steam to create a propulsive force!

Mike