[Public-list] Rudder shoe pin.

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 14 04:40:06 PDT 2005

Jonathan,

The nut through the end of the show is actually a bolt that is threaded into
the fiberglass keel. It is about 3" long and is 3/8" dia [if I remember
correctly. Thjere are a couple of 1/4"-20 flat head bolts along the
bottom/sides of the shoe that also hold it in place. All of the bolts are
made of silcone bronze.

The process is to remove all of the screws [you will buy new ones to
re-install the shoe], and then remove the shoe from the boat. This will give
you access to the pin in the bottom of the rudder. It too is a 3/8" silicone
bronze bolt with the head cut off. If it is in good shape [it is about the
original size and is solid], leave it alone and reintall the shoe with new
bolts and 3M 5200 caulking. If the pin is badly worn or in the process of
disintergrating, cross your finingers and attempt to unscrew it from the
bottom of the rubber. If it breaks off, do not attempt to use an "eazy-out"
bolt extractor. Instead file it flush so you can find the cneter and driil
it out with a slighlty small bit and re-tap the hole. Replace with a ne
silcone bronze bolt, do not use a SS bolt. Replace the rudder shoe, and
voila, go sailing. Oh Yeah, you may want to check the pintle/gudgeons at the
same time.

Here are some photos from the A30 website on the rudder shoe.

http://alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/ruddershoe/

Mike Lehman