[Public-list] Water tank cover

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Sun Jun 26 05:54:19 PDT 2005

  It makes sense that the aluminum cover is the cause. Just cleaning or
scraping it will only delay the continuation of the problem. The Aluminum
will oxidize again (quickly this time) and the "sand" will start to
reappear. The original anodizing is gone so now it's just plain sheet
aluminum.
 You need to remove the aluminum cover. Scrape and clean the surface. Use
something like West System Aluminum Etch Kit (#860), to thoroughly clean and
prepare the surface. Then coat the aluminum with straight epoxy. Let it cure
thoroughly, and apply a second coat (after eliminating the amine blush). Let
that cure completely (and remove the amine blush again) before reinstalling
the cover. This will eliminate the problem for years again (like the
original anodizing did). Don't worry about the new epoxy surface. When it's
thoroughly cured, it's not toxic anymore (unless you eat it).
Regards,
Brian   ex#497