[Public-list] compass on sliding hatch

5thseason at canada.com 5thseason at canada.com
Wed Jun 1 10:31:33 PDT 2005

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 13:14:40 -0400, "Roger L Kingsland"
wrote:

>Roger
I installed a new compass on the port side of the cabin
house and with a GPS set up for magnetic heading I have
less that 2 deg of error between both of them on any
heading.  This requires no metal objects mounted close
to the compass and any electrical wireing be twisted to
eliminate DC current induced magnetic fields.  As a
side note I used the old compass housing as it was the
right size for my Humminbird fishfinder depthfinder
speed and water temp unit.  I also moved my A4
ignition, blower and choke to the same location.
John Boor
MAHSEER #380
> I have filled in the bridge deck cut out that
contained
> the compass on #148 with the intention of installing a
> compass or two in the bulkhead at the aft end of the
> cabin house.  I noticed the May A30 calendar has a
> picture of a cute little girl straddling what appears
> to be a bulkhead compass mounted on the aft end of the
> main hatch.  Can anyone with experience using this set
> up opine on how it works? It seems like a good spot
for
> a compass; amidships, away from electrical and
metallic