[Public-list] releasable glue

Roger L Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Wed Mar 9 09:55:24 PST 2005

Albergers,

I am preparing to steam my new toe rail planks and had planned to clamp them to furring strips (while they dry) extending vertically a few inches above the deck (at about 24" centers) in plane with the outside of the hull.  I had hoped to fasten the bottom of the furring strips to pads glued (temporarily) to the top 4 to 6" of the hull.

Can anyone recommend a temporary glue, perhaps one that dries fast and holds well at room temperature but can be easily removed with a heat gun.  The hull is ready for paint so I don't need to worry about the finish but also don't want to have do to much additional prep work after removing the pads.  I seem to recall people mentioning 5200 can be removed with heat.  The tech at Gougeon Bros. suggested using some form of hot melt glue gun.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger Kingsland
PERFECT intentions, A30 #148
on the hard in Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh, PA