[Public-list] Prop zinc installation tips

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Fri Mar 25 16:33:08 PST 2005

Greetings, All,

    Been following the prop zinc notes a bit.

    A very useful recommendation I incorporated came from someone on this
list, I believe.  I install the zinc with the boat in the water, diving with
a mask and snorkel.  (Yes, around here that requires farmer john wet suit
and a stiff drink o something when finished-- it's cold water!)
    With tools lined up on the finger pier's edge, I dive a couple of times
with a screw driver to remove the old zinc.
    I prep the screw for the new zinc with a bit of regular caulking (boat
life, etc.).  A subsequent dive sees the zinc tapped firmly into place with
a small sledge hammer (short handle, wrist strap) and the screw started.  A
couple more dives finish off the tightening of the screw with perhaps a few
more taps on the zinc for good measure.
    AS someone reminded us, there are casting edges or flanges on inside of
the zinc that prevent a tight fit on the shaft without that bit of banging
and tapping.  The caulking helps hold the screw snug without being difficult
to back out next time.

    Fun!

Randy Katz
Simple Gifts