[Public-list] Help - Interior Lighting - A different idea

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Mon Mar 28 09:41:05 PST 2005

James,

You might consider another approach... When I got my 1966, I installed a
fairly heavy weight, but small, "wall mount" metal and cut glass
household fixture. It uses  ordinary household bulbs. It is on the port
side mounted to the (now covered by a glued on headliner) fiberglass
surface above the cabinets. It has served very well for almost 20 years.
I'm in fresh water... in salt water, you'd need to pay more attention
tot he material the fixture is made from, but this works very well to
illuminate the cabin. Yo can hide the wires completely inside the
cabinets, and put whatever size and style bulb you like, I think I have
a 40 or 60W in there now.

It is no problem to pilot a small hole and use short, stainless sheet
metal screws to mount to the inside surfaces. Just drill big enough
diameter holes to avoid cracking out the material, and of course not too
deep...

I have brass marine style "aim-able" lamps mounted on the forward wall
(back side of the wall to the head), and one the back of the
companionway bulkhead above the sik. Also one in the head and 2 in the
V-Berth. Lastly,I have an automotive style "dome light" (mostly plastic)
in the hanging locker where the stereo and tools live, that turns out to
be very useful.

Good luck,

--Dan Sternglass
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY