[Public-list] was Winch Grease changing to pictures

dan walker dsailormon at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 08:34:20 PST 2005

since i still consider myself a novice(as most people i have met sailing will agree to, or maybe they say i am just plain dumb,) i was thinking it could be a neat addition to the website if there was a sort of picture tour of the alberg boats. with the thrust being on pictures of items that are different on different boats and identifying them. ie southcoast barient winches, i have no clue if that is what mine are,
i dont know, maybe to much work thrown at george,
jsut a thought
dan
rascal 145

"sousa, stephen (ENG)" <sousa_stephen at emc.com> wrote:
Mike,

The bronze style with spade winch handle do not have bearings. If you have a
bearing in your winches, which I think the Barients do, I have the same
winch with a bearing. If you have bearings the grease is truly lubricating
the unit.

I would recommend looking at PY Yachts for grease as well, since West bought
out Boat U.S. Retail their prices have gone up significantly. As John
mentioned, light oil on pawls and a good Teflon grease would work well. I
tried the West brand winch grease and do not care for it. I have also used
auto lithium grease. I am sure other on the list will have recommendations.

Stephen