[Public-list] Rudder - almost there

sousa, stephen (ENG) sousa_stephen at emc.com
Tue Mar 15 07:01:34 PST 2005

Lincoln,

When you have the rudder stock removed from the boat, I would recommend
having a machine shop cut a 1/4 keyway into the top of the stock. This can
be used for the newer rudder cap and strap which have the key. The units
sold by Buck, Spartan Marine and Edson have a keyway cut into the cap (some
on the front or back side).

The sleeve that fits into the cockpit which accepts the rudder stock can be
made using a stuffing box sleeve by removing some of the threads when it
fits into that hull.

Using wood screws for holding the shoe onto the boat, I wouldn't recommend
it. You can apply wax to the bronze screw threads, mix up some epoxy with
walnut shells and make new threads into the hull. When dry remove the screw
you and you have the threads in the glass to accept the attachment points
for the shoe.

Regards,
Stephen