[Public-list] is that your Rudder hanging ... from the garage door opener

Austin Meyermann somedaysailor2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 20:19:27 PST 2005

Did you have to use any filler on your rudder? I stripped the fiberglass off of mine and a good size chunk of wood came off (10" long, shaped like wedge, 3/4" deep at deep end)? I would like to know what kind of filler to use? I will also be fiberglass as soon as i get this repaired.

Austin

Lincoln Finkenberg <finkenbergl at yahoo.com> wrote:
Well I've pasted (epoxied) on the fiberglass to the rudder. I went with a 6 oz cloth instead (i'll goo on 2 layers). Biaxial cloth w/ mat was too much to try to deal with. I hung the rudder from the garage door opener - which allowed me to quicly flip it over after doing one side. Lots of creases on the 2nd side - which I'm looking forward to taking a belt sander to. It will be quite a scene when we open the garage door.

I'm planning on taking more pictures -- I can't believe how much stuff I acquired with hair brained ideas that didn't quite work out. All apart of getting the boat in the water - (by Apr 15 or SINK). My best purchase to date tho is the rudder bearing flange at a $1.89 from Amer Sleeve Bearing.

Captain Rock Bottom - Gypsy.
"But come ye back when summer's in the meadow" - danny boy