[Public-list] Variation of A30s & fuel tank

Jay Davenport jay at saildriver.com
Thu Mar 24 10:41:31 PST 2005

Bob,

The 1st (starboard) tank didn't have a flange. The 2nd (port) tank,  #63126, did have a flange attached for bolting the bottom, aft end of the tank to the shelf on which the tank sits.

I had attached the 1st tank by using sections of very heavy aluminum angle, which I cut to size (length), and drilled for bolts. These were then attached to the shelf, bulkhead, and overhead in such a way as to prevent the tank from shifting regardless of the boat angle. The surface of the angles which bear on the tank are lined with a high density rubber sheeting.

Because my boat is a "liner" boat, I just used the existing shelf for a tank support. I did not need to build a platform. Other boats might require one. The fittings (fuel fill, fuel pickup, vent, ground, sender) were all put on the tank where I had told them to put them, so they were all perfectly located for me. These locations could vary for other boats. The fuel fill location in particular is important.

Jay
Robert E Johns <rjohns3 at optonline.net> wrote:

On Mar 24, 2005, at 8:39 AM, Jay Davenport wrote:
> This tank was designed uniquely for my boat, which has an Atomic 4
> engine (gas). RDS could easily add a diesel return line if requested.
> The tank is heavy aluminum, with baffles, grounds, & fuel level sender
> installed. I also had them weld flanges to it to facilitate attaching
> the tank to the boat.

Jay,
I'm impressed with RDS. i called them and gave them the part # of your
tank, Lamar asked for my email address, and when I asked how long it
would take to get it, he said check your email, its already there. And
it was.

The drawing looks really good - locations of everything, not just tank
dimensions as the catalogs do. The 34" length of the tank solves the
problem I ran into with the tank I wanted to install, which was too
long because the new deck layout put a scupper in the way.

The drawing does not show the flanges that you said you had installed.
Could you describe how the tank is mounted and secured? Was a platform
installed in the sail locker to support the tank, and where are the
flanges located on the tank? Would you relocate any of the fittings on
the tank as built for you?

I appreciate all of the help. You tank design will probably be useful
to other A30 owners with the 'new' deck layout.

Many thanks,
Bob, Wind Call, #397