[Public-list] topping lift

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Mar 30 06:30:33 PST 2005

Hi James -

The elements of a good lift are: 1) adjustability whatever the position of
the boom 2) strength and stretch resistance.

We hung a light block on the after side of the masthead casting and ran a
1/4" prestretched braided line (the type intended for halyards) from a clam
cleat (captive type) on the mast at chest level, up to the top block and
back down to a shackle on the end casting of the boom.

We put a few stitches of twine in the line at the position it is best held
in so that it is slack when the main is set, and the boom is in the right
position when the main is furled.

Doing things that way gives us an adjustable lift that is also an emergency
main halyard should we need one.

Cheers - Gord #426 Surprise