[Public-list] weight distribution/racing

Meinhold, Michael J MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Wed Mar 30 08:26:43 PST 2005

The quantity that goes up when you fill the tank is the gyradius - directly
related to the rotational moment of inertia. Think of the spinning ice
skater - when she pulls her arms in she's reducing her gyradius.

The thing that slows you down is the added resistance due to your pitching
motion in waves. The more out-of-phase you get with the waves, the more
energy you put into the water. Reducing the gyradius - moving weight toward
amidships - usually reduces added resistance. The pitching motion also
affects your driving force by messing with the flow over the sails.

It can get complicated because you can get a positive driving force due to
pitch in the right conditions - the winglet-keeled America's Cup boats took
advantage of this.

Mike
Rinn Duin #272