[Public-list] Travellers...Propane Tank

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 31 06:53:27 PST 2005

Gord;
    I had an interesting note earlier this month from Bob Muir who has their boat
now in Thornbury after the move from RCYC. His father, Les,  bought that boat from
WBW off the line and was a Dragon sailor before the Alberg. Les  found that the
full size Dragon mainsail , which is 4 feet shorter on the foot than the Alberg
main was a better balanced sail and I gather they still sail that boat with a
mainsail of Dragon measurments. Also in that discussion was the comment that Kurt
had been the first to import Folkboats to the Toronto Area and had found that the
fractional rig was not quick enough on the uptake  in Humber Bay. By
experimenting, again with Dragon foresails, and a masthead rig, they managed a
much more responsive hull to this foil system, which he incorporated on the
folkboats he built as Hansen 26s.
    It is my supposition that the change from Alberg's design of a fractional rig
to the masthead rig was done because of the experience with the folkboats in
Humber Bay.
    I agree that lead would have been nice.
Don #528