[Public-list] topping lift

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Mar 31 08:10:25 PST 2005

Hi all,

Stargazer still has the ceramic insulators on the backstay, and the topping
lift often caught on the upper one. I rigged a shock cord to keep the line
tensioned to prevent it from hanging up. I secured the shock cord to the topping
 lift with a rolling hitch about three feet above the boom. I tied the other
end  of the shock cord to a small captive pin shackle. When I am sailing, I
attach  the shackle to the end of the boom. When Stargazer is moored, I take the
shackle  off the end of the boom, and put it over the topping lift. The
tension on the  shock cord lifts the shackle up to the point where the shock cord
is relaxed.  This way the shock cord is not under tension all the time, and
will not stretch  out and lose its tensioning ability. Works pretty well. :)

This is the winter that Stargazer got her galley back, and I got up to
working on the water tank. I took the advice of all of you, and cut a hole in  the
v berth seat to be able to get to the tank. What a mess!!!! Someone had
installed a triangular shaped water bladder in there already, but it was  torn, and
some green, gooy, sticky substance had adhered much of it to the  inside of
the water tank.  Some kind of antifreeze that went bad? Who  knows. Whatever,
the bladder is out, and I have to clean the gunk out before  installing the new
tank in there.

Today is the first day of Defender's wharehouse sale, and I am heading out
there to get the tank, hoses, and anything else I can grab!!!

Nice day for a drive, :)

Lee
Stargazer #255