[Public-list] Deck Beam Repair Question

John Irving a30blueteal at gmail.com
Thu May 5 06:41:22 PDT 2005

I just finished installing the aluminum sisters to strengthen the deck
beam. I followed the procedure described in the deck beam repair
article at:

http://www.alberg30.org/collaborate/moin.cgi/DeckBeamRepair

In the article, the writer says:

"Make sure that there is clearance from the top of the plate to the
underside of the deck, to avoid deck cracking when the beam flexes
under load. That space can later be filled with silicone caulking."

I'm wondering how much the beam will flex under load with the support
sisters in place. I have one small area about 4" long where epoxy
squeezed out over the aluminum plate filling the gap between the
aluminum plate and the underside of the deck. This area is directly
over the side edge of the starboard door frame in the forward cabin.
Should that be ground out?

Many thanks to those who posted the directions for the repair. It
turned out very well.

John