[Public-list] Do we need battens in the mainsail?

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Tue May 10 10:35:25 PDT 2005

Greetings, Folks,
    In reading a bit about sails I see that for cruising, a number of people
recommend getting rid of battens.  They cause chaf which, in the case of my
sail last time around in heavy-ish winds, second reef, resulted in a 2' rip
beginning at the inside of the batten pocket.  I'm pretty sure the batten
contributed to weakening the fabric in that area.

    Have any of you simply removed your battens altogether?  How does it
work?   Isn't it worth a try?

Many thanks,

Randy Katz
Bellingham/Seattle, WA.