[Public-list] Reefing/new mainsail

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Wed May 11 08:12:19 PDT 2005

I've been using jiffy reefing which I put in myself-- not so very difficult.

The sail repair person I spoke with about repairing my main (which I found
ripped after taking a second reef) suggested yesterday that the sail has
about 25% of it's strength left and that it's probably very old.  It DOES
have an original looking A-30 class letters on it--- hmmmm, yes, probably is
the original from '68.

For the PNW he suggested a fabric of at least 6.5 oz.   Any Northwesties
know if this is a typical cloth weight for us?

Thus, I'm investigating a new(er) main.

I'd be glad to see the photos from Gord.

I understand about the battens supporting the roach.  I'll just try it
sometime without em and see how the sail looks.  In any sort of a wind I'd
guess the sail would straighten up fine without anything as drastic as
surgery to chop off the roach.

Thanks for the comments, folks, all very useful.

Randy Katz
#249 Seattle/Bellingham