[Public-list] transom mounted fuel tank vent

Dudley Baker dudley.baker at kongsberg.com
Mon May 16 10:04:44 PDT 2005

I have installed a new diesel fuel tank in the starboard locker area.  I diligently replaced all
hoses, including the vent hose.  My old vent fitting on the transom was original and not up to USCG
standards for proper  venting.  (new vents use 5/8" hose and vents themselves are much less
constrictive.

This project has reconfirmed that it is easier to rip something out than put something new back in
its place.  The A30 Transom is about 1" thick of solid glass and the standard tank vents can
accomodate a hull thickness up to 3/4" --  So, my question:  Who out there has run into this problem
and why couldn't I put the vent on the starboard quarter - far enough back so that the vent would
not be affected by excessive heel or a knockdown.

Thanks
Dudley Baker
Heron 297