[Public-list] NOAA Weather Bill in Senate

sousa, stephen (ENG) sousa_stephen at emc.com
Wed May 18 07:30:17 PDT 2005

All Albergers:

This should be of interest for all of us.

Stephen

 NOAA WEATHER ALERTS

PA Senator Rick Santorum has presented a bill that would eliminate free
weather broadcasts.  A key element of this bill is contained in Section 2
(b) "Competition with private sector" i.e., the government shall not provide

a service that could be provided by the private sector.  Therefore, we would

then be required to subscribe to a service, for a monthly fee.
We need all those in the diving and boating community, especially those in
Pennsylvania, to express their opposition to Senate bill 786 to Sen. Rick
Santorum of Pennsylvania. The loss of weather broadcasts would be a major
safety issue and a significant loss to the boating community.
PA residents should address:
The Honorable Rick Santorum

SD-511

United States Senate

Washington, DC 20510

TYPICAL LETTER
Dear Senator Santorum:
I am a small boat owner and rely on NOAA broadcasts for safety before I
venture out on the water and while I am underway. NOAA has alerted me to
storm warnings and has been a most reliable prognosticator. To require me to

pay for this service is unfair. As a retired person, I need to look for
recreation at a minimum expense. Placing another cost on boating does not
make me a happy sailor.
I am but one of 500,000 sailors in Pennsylvania that feel this way.
Please do not continue with this bill.
Respectfully Yours