[Public-list] Deck Beam Repair Question - What is the load

Michael dickdurk at intercom.net
Fri May 6 03:15:45 PDT 2005

> I presume Bruce Rankin did something like
>this when he designed the beam fix.

I read when they designed the Brooklyn Bridge, they calculated max. expected
loads, then multiplied by 4.

I don't know how you could factor in shock loads of close reaching into a
short head sea on the rigging, but eventually 'Kentucky Windage' has got to
be involved. I'm betting Bruce's reasoning went something like this-the
factory installed beams lasted 15 years, these two big a$$ plates increase
that original strength by a factor of 4...

That's how I decided to do the repair, anyway.

Michael Grosh