[Public-list] danged ass beam repair

PLefkovith at aol.com PLefkovith at aol.com
Sun May 8 17:15:24 PDT 2005

To Patty J.
Fixing and stabilizing the arch in both the earlier models and the latter
models with an aluminum arch is easy. Find yourself some 13/4" thick
x 21/2" wide white or red oak and lay the oak beams on both side of the
forward bulked wall under the beam ledge.  Cut a hole in the shape of the oak beams
in the floor and set them on the hull floor.  Lay the beams against the wall
equal on both sides and epoxy the beams to the flood with 3" fiberglass tape
and bolt them through the wall above the floor. You should buy six 1/4" x 31/2"
lag bolts, 1/4" drill bit, a 1" counter bore and some 1" oak or maple dowel
at home Depot. Cut the dowel into 1/2" lengths and glue them into the holes and
sand and varnish the beams on both sides of the wall.  I made this
modification 10 years ago and not one bit of deflection has occurred.  My surveyor
agreed it looks great and is as strong as hell.  This should take about 8hr labor
total and cost
about 75$ with simple tools.  It's an amateur simple job.

                             Plefkovith at aol.com