[Public-list] Re: Reefing Re: Do we need battens in the mains ail?

sousa, stephen (ENG) sousa_stephen at emc.com
Wed May 11 05:33:53 PDT 2005

Alan,

I think most of the Alberg owners have converted to jiffy reefing/slab
reefing. This method isn't difficult to install and makes a difficult job
under certain conditions a little easier. We installed tracks on the of end
of our boom which provides flexibility when trying to achieve the correct
tension/angles for the reefing lines providing nice sail shape. Prior to
adding the tracks, we had static points which didn't provide the correct
tension when reefed and an incorrect sail shape.

If you look in the West Catalog they provide a nice drawing for a jiffy
reefing set up, although you can modify certain points to cut cost.

Stephen