[Public-list] Weeping water tank (liner boat)

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Wed May 11 06:17:22 PDT 2005

I have been looking more carefully at my boat on this issue and have a question - Where does the tank weep? I did have some water at the end of the winter season but think it came from loose hose clamps at the place where the water exits the tank. I tightened them and things seem a lot dryer now but would like to gave more info so I can do a better diagnosis of any potential problem. Then I can decide if I want to follow Mike's first plan - ignore it till fall - or his third plan - surgery. The articles in the Maintenance Manual were very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

>>> gdinwiddie at alberg30.org 05/02/05 10:57 PM >>>
Andy,

There are several articles in the maintenance manual.  Basically you
should scrape off the old gummy caulk and drill out the rivets to remove
the tank lid.  (You'll have to remove the woodwork, first.)  I suggest
coating the inside of the tank with a couple coats of epoxy resin, while
you have it open.  You can either coat the inside of the lid with epoxy
or replace it with some other material that won't flake aluminum oxide
off into the water.  Then caulk around the edge and fasten the lid down
with self-tapping or machine screws.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.