[Public-list] Flax Packing

John Irving a30blueteal at gmail.com
Wed May 11 06:24:21 PDT 2005

Further to my previous post...

I am replacing the flax packing in my stuffing box.

According to the chart at the marine store, I should be using 3/8"
packing on my A30. I understand I should be putting in a minimum of
three rings of packing, four if there's room.

When I took out the old packing, there were only two rings of packing
and it appears to be 5/8". It's hard to say if it was 5/8" when new
because it has swollen with use. See photo at:

http://www.roundthecorner.com/blueteal/FlaxPacking.jpg

Am I correct to replace this with 3-4 rings of 3/8" packing?

Thanks,

John