[Public-list] how do you back this darn thing up?

Todd Redhead todd.redhead at sympatico.ca
Wed May 11 14:41:00 PDT 2005

 I hate backing up!!!  I do what ever I can to avoid it.  Even with some
practice - the bow is going to go the wrong way at least 25 % of the time
(at least that is how it seems to me.)  I dock bow-in to a finger dock on
the port side so coming into the dock is easy even with a cross wind.  To
back out of my slip, what I do is...  Put the engine in neutral, throw the
rudder hard over in the way that it is supposed to go - then using a bow
line and a stern line I walk the boat out of the slip pulling on the stern
line as the stern moves into clear water - till I get to the end of my dock
- then I give the stern one more pull just to make sure things are moving in
the right direction and I jump aboard.  Run down to the cockpit - let her
coast until the bow is completely clear - into forward gear and hit the gas.
Slick - usually...

The only time this method is a problem is with a stiff breeze on the
starbard side which wants to force the bow in the wrong direction - what I
do then is let the wind blow the bow up to the end of the finger dock - the
give the bow a good hard shove in the right direction while holding the
stern line hard all as I jump aboard - then head for the cock pit and get it
into gear and moving foreward quickly so that I can stear the bow into the
wind.  If I didn't have the finger dock - I would be screwed.  I think that
I go out sailing a lot more because I am able to get in and out of the slip
without much worry.  I think the best advise with pilings is pad them up
good, then use them to 'bump' yourway into the slip.

The problem that I have with "give her a good shot of gas to get water
moving past the rudder" is it tends to get the boat moving faster than what
I am comfortable with in reverse.

When you have onlookers - here is what you do...  Reverse out and which ever
way the bow goes - pretend that is the way you were planning to go.  Haha.

Todd
Strathgowan #400