[Public-list] how do you back this darn thing up?

Kristofer Coward kris at melon.org
Wed May 11 14:42:10 PDT 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 10:13:43AM -0400, James Schueler wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Having sailed my Alberg last year I am fairly familiar with the problems
> that seem to exist when attempting to steer a short course in reverse.
> It doesn't appear that it responds well to the rudder, at best; at
> worst, there have been times when I've had the boat headed in the
> opposite direction to that which I was steering (in reverse). My problem
> is this: I am not at a mooring this year as I was last year. I now have
> to back the boat into a rather narrow slot between two pilings which
> puts the stern to the dock and enables us to get off. However, it's
> tough to say the least. I tried 6 times yesterday before I was able to
> get it into the slip. I'd put it in reverse and the boat would just back
> up in any direction it wanted, no matter that I was guiding it with the
> rudder. A whole season of this is going to be a pain in the neck. Any
> advice?

On the med moorings we've got here, I go in bow first. To leave the
mooring, I walk the mooring lines forward until the tires are around the
shrouds. Sometimes I build up enough momentum this way that I don't
have to use reverse at all. And yes, this can all be done
single-handed.

Cheers,
Kris
Candy Cane #583