[Public-list] PHRF rating

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu May 19 05:42:11 PDT 2005

Thanks Richard -

The reason I am polling phrf numbers is because we did well again last night
in the 'wrong' fleet.  Here is the situation.

We were assigned a phrf of 219 sailing with a 140 genny and using the
'chute.  Our club breaks the starts into two fleets, A Fleet for boats that
rate under 192 and B that rates over.  The B fleet is mostly Sharks, a
healthy one design fleet of 24 foot sloops with fractional rigs. The last
two seasons we raced in B as our 219 put us right in that fleet.

I often felt self conscious squashing Sharks with our relatively huge wind
shadow, especially at the starts, because the Sharks are really racing each
other.  Added to this, there only other boats of our size and vintage (a
Niagara 30 and a Corvette 31) are in A fleet as their phrf's put them just
under the 192 line.

This year I requested to be put into A fleet so that we could race against
the Niagara and the Corvette - both traditional enemies from the glory days
when they and A30's were common on courses in Canada.  I also did not want
to be a big course hazard for the Shark fleet which I think deserves its own
start.  Here is what happened last night.

We finished close to a boat that rates under 160 and ahead of the Niagara 30
which rates 187.  Now I expect that our rating will be suggested to be too
high.  I remarked to my crew last night that if we were crafty we would
throw a couple of races to solidify the high rating then get evil and sail
to overachieve on the numbers...but I don't like that (but I thought about
it...)

Gord #426