[Public-list] NOAA Weather Bill in Senate

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Thu May 19 07:03:30 PDT 2005

Mike

You hit the nail on the head.  This action by Santorum could probably be better named the Weather Channel/Accuweather Support Bill.  To me it will cause the same result that forcing NOAA to fully recover the expenses of chart publication had.  When the cost of a chart hit $15, folks stopped keeping current charts on board and a whole new industry sprang up selling "chart kits/books (many with the legal disclaimer 'Not to be used...'). or turning the Coast Guard from a real Search and Rescue outfit into a "Fill out the form, tell you to put on life jackets and ask if you want them to refer you to a commercial tower".

Note this is buried in a birth control pill bill so the heat will be Rowe vs. Wade and the hidden part slid through without comment.

I wonder how many commercial weather companies have corporate offices in Pennsylvania?

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

If man does find the solution for world peace it will be the most revolutionary reversal of his record we have ever known.
George C. Marshall