[Public-list] PHRF rating

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu May 19 12:08:57 PDT 2005

Thanks John -

It was worse, or just as bad, in my Folkboat days.  Folkboats were created
to be a One-Design racing fleet, and they still are in Europe.  They were
truly the J24 of their day.  Today most Folkboats are what I used to call
"furniture" - immaculate varnish gleaming beneath a crappy un-tuned rig with
ancient sails.

Well, weirdo that I am, I liked to make the boat sail to its potential...
And lo and behold... Found that they knew what they were doing back in the
'40's; I could out-point anything but a Soling, hold most 'modern' boats
under 30' (given 10kts of wind), and could carry sail when no-one else
could.

BUT

Since most F Boats are now furniture, the PHRF number reflected the
declining performance of the class.  So there I'd be occasionally winning
races (best in medium air with lots of beating) in real time - then clawing
more time by my skewed rating (which I needed every second of in light air
with choppy water)

I used to say that I understood Ghengis Khan's definition of the sweetest
thing, which he said was to defeat the foe, ride his horses and listen to
the lamenting of his women.  Well for me that meant sailing well - taking
the handicap, then buying beer to quiet the complaining.

One-design racing is the best... I wish there were racing Alberg sailors in
my waters. (anyone listening....?)

Gord