[Public-list] Glue for teak

Robert Kirk isobar at bcpl.net
Fri May 27 12:47:22 PDT 2005

Roger... As Mike Lehman points out, resorcinol is the  traditional marine
waterproof glue. It's hard to go wrong, but it requires mixing. In recent
years, "polyurethane glue" (Google it) has come on strong. It's single part
(no mixing) and also waterproof & strong. "Gorilla" was the brand that made
it popular, but since then Franklin Titebond, Elmers, and other mainline
woodworking glue companies have come out with poly, too. They are likely to
be cheaper than the Gorilla. Polyurethane is expensive, but so is
resorcinol. I'm not sure which costs most. I do woodworking, and many
cabinetmakers I know now use it routinely in all their projects, though
honestly, I still use good old yellow glue for interior stuff. Also, don't
forget epoxy which is good, too.

Anyway, as you probably know,  the biggest problem gluing teak is the teak
itself. It's notoriously hard to glue because it's so oily and the oil on
the surface prevents a good bond no matter the glue. The only way to get
glue to hold is to vigorously wipe the surface with acetone (or maybe
alcohol?), let the acetone evaporate in a few seconds, and then immediately
glue & clamp before the deeper oil migrates back to the surface.

Finally, unless you already have the wood on hand, you might consider
buying 6/4 teak instead of laminating 5/8. It's probably just as cheap and
a lot less work. I'm sure that's what Whitby did.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181