[Public-list] Cutlass bearing...

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon May 30 14:57:00 PDT 2005

Gord,

It's really not a big job. Here are the steps:

Remove the prop
Remove the two bolts that hold the housing to the keel.
Unscrew the housing from the shaft log (it is threaded on the shaft log).
In the shop, remove the two set screws that hold the cutlass bearing in the
housing.
Drive the oul cutlass bearing out of the housing. Use a socket that is
slightly smaller than the bearing.
Force the new bearing into the housing.
Trim the excess length of the bearing
Use a drill bit to make two water intake holes in the bearing thru the water
intake ports on the housing.
Make sure there are no burrs on the inside of the new bearing and the holes
are clear.
Re-intall everything.

Alternate plan:
Take the new bearing and housing with old bearing installed to a machine
shop and have them press out the old bearing and press in the new one. Make
sure the cut the water inlet holes. The cost is minimal.

Mike Lehman