[Public-list] Exhaust wrap and 'that reminds me'...

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Tue Nov 22 08:03:30 PST 2005

Hi A30 people,

My exhaust pipe broke too, 7-8 years ago, and it was the original steel
pipe with the original asbestos wrap. So, be careful! I had previously
painted it heavily with a spray can of hi-temp stove or engine paint at
the end of a pole to keep it from flaking off, which it was...

I did re-wrap the new galvanized pipe, but I got some good advice, at
least price wise -- Use the material that they sell for automotive
applications, it's roughly the same stuff and much cheaper than the
"marine" version.  While corrosion from trapped moisture is an issue,
(less in fresh water where I am), when I looked at the clearances and
the heat, I thought it was better to have it wrapped. The first one made
it 30 years...

That reminds me that a few years years later I replaced the water line
to the A4's muffler and a two years later, there was a mystery
overheating problem that Don Moyer finally diagnosed... After 10-15
minutes running and pumping fine, the temp would spike. Turns out that
the hose had delaminated internally a foot or two aft of the engine and
was "plugging the artery" after it got hot. That was the most obscure
engine problem I've ever had, lucky he had "seen it once many years ago."

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
dans at stmktg.com