[Public-list] Alberg 30 Engines

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 26 19:04:02 PST 2005

David

Not knowing your hull number makes it a bit harder to be specific.  If it is an older boat with the wood interior, you could use a Yanmar 2GM engine.  With the newer boats, glass liner you can use the Beta or small Westerbeake.  any of the three would fit the older boats.  These choices will give you satisfactory power to fight wind and seas.  The boat needs about 15 real horsepower for anything above calm.  The reason the Yanmar doesn't work in the newer boats is the engine pan under the engine.  With the Yanmar there is a lot of work required to replace the engine beds.  The Beta and Westerbeake don't require as much labor.

Been there, done that.  I put a Yanmar in an older boat, today if I were doing it I would opt for the Beta.

http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/Diesel/YanmarInOlderBoats.html

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid.

Dwight D. Eisenhower