[Public-list] Boat on Ebay

Cole, Andrew L andrew.cole at llff.com
Tue Nov 1 09:33:16 PST 2005

A couple thoughts (boy I'm writing a lot more on this list than I
thought I would):

Decent boats are difficult to find on the used market.  This summer
while we were looking, we came across several that were decrepit and
that we did not want to undertake due to the amount of time it would
take just to get the boat sailing again.  We got very discouraged on
occasion feeling that there were no useable boats available.  Had we not
finally found our boat, we would have started looking at other designs.
Having a somewhat steady supply of solid useable boats coming through
the class would make it easier to find boats for people like us who
determined early on that we liked the boat and the association.  I don't
think that association boats would detract from the selling price of
reasonably maintained attractive boats, there will always be a premium
for not having to do all the finish work yourself (I envision a product
coming out of the association that is solid and working, but not
necessarily beautiful or upgraded).

As a side benefit, there seem to be several economies of scale in doing
any of the projects that would undoubtedly be required on a boat like
this.  I would bet that several of us need to do many of the same
repairs that are required for that boat.  Turn each project (or groups
of projects) into a group project day, have people bring their
"projects" to wherever the association boat was being kept, and do them
all together at the same time.  Some of these, like building hatches,
replacing floors, doing plumbing, replacing toe rails, etc., could
result in huge time savings for all involved.  This would mean that the
association boat that was being restored as though it were a private
boat, and would assist the rest of us with our projects.

There are many logistics that would need to be dealt with if the class
takes on a project like this, properly financing the restoration,
insuring the boat and the association, additional insurance if
chartering or loaning the boat, and foremost, ensuring the association's
actions with the boat did not become a liability for any of the
individual association members (or the association for that matter).

I've heard about a company that is restoring Bertram 31s from the hull
stringers up and selling what is effectively a brand-new 1960s Bertram.
I've joked from time to time about setting up and doing this with
Albergs to take advantage of the seemingly endless supply of neglected
hulls.  It is probably not cost effective as a private enterprise to
prepare "brand new" 1964 Albergs, but the association with donated time
and bulk purchased materials could probably put together a reasonably
workable and solid boat for a reasonable entry level price (priced to
fill gaps in supply, but not so low as to detract from the selling price
of private boats).

Just my thoughts,

Andrew Cole
152 Andante

Cole, Andrew L
Admitted in Maryland, Virginia & Florida
One Corporate Center
10451 Mill Run Circle, Suite 1000
Baltimore MD 21117

tel: 410 581-7408
fax: (410) 581-7410
mob: (410) 206-3577

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for public-list at alberg30.org. If you are not public-list at alberg30.org you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify andrew.cole at llff.com immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Cole, Andrew L therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.