[Public-list] New Owner Questions

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Tue Nov 8 05:54:28 PST 2005

Varnish is prettier, Cetol is easier to touch-up and doesn't release from
underneath the way varnish can. I am thinking of going to Cetol Light myself
as I have Cetol M on right now.

If you are in an area of extreme temperature changes, as we are in Canada,
Cetol adheres better as it flexes better with the wood. I.e. in January
under a tarp the boat can be 10 degrees C with the sun on the tarp, as soon
as the sun starts to set the temperature under the tarp can rapidly drop
to -15 -20 causing the wood to shift dramatically and varnish seems to fail
at the wood varnish interface more easily than Cetol. Once it cuts loose,
the only way to fix varnish is to remove it and start again - I have yet to
see a varnish touch-up job that didn't look like a touch-up job.

Cetol can be touched up.

Just my humble opinion

Cheers,

John