[Public-list] Epoxy on Teak

Peter Staehling staehpj1 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 04:02:34 PST 2005

I haven't used the varnish over epoxy approach to
teak, but have used it for a wooden kayak, various
dinghy parts, oars, and paddles.

My experience is that varnish is much easier to work
with as a final coating than any epoxy that I have
used.  That may be a matter of technique though.

On the kayak, once the epoxy was sanded smooth, it was
very easy to get a near perfect finish using good
varnish and cheap foam brushes.  The foam brushes were
used almost like a squeegee to put very thin coats of
varnish on.  The results amazed me as I never figured
I could produce such a nice finish.

The results also seem to be very durable, but I am
leary of whether it would work as well on the teak on
Aurora.  If I thought it would I would go that route
since it is beautiful and has been low maintenance on
the kayak.  My fear is having to strip the epoxy at a
later date.