[Public-list] Coamings

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Nov 10 12:39:10 PST 2005

In a message dated 11/10/2005 8:57:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com writes:

Pete  -
One of the main drivers for refinishing and reinstalling my coamings was  wet
bottoms....
Water would leak between the outboard side of the  coaming and the cockpit
side and thence to the seats.
When reinstalling  them I caulked the top and bottom edge as well as all the
bolt and screw  holes.

Mike

We've got this problem too, which we are 'going to' address one of these
days. The other, more significant source of  water on the cockpit  seats is on
rough days when alot of spray is coming aft from the for deck,  running back
along the windward cabin side and cockpit coamings, it runs around  the aft end
of the coaming, across the aft deck forward of the aft hatch, and  into the
leeward cockpit seat.

Anyone else have this problem? This spring I put a strip of  teak  on the aft
deck, reaching from inside the aft corner of the cockpit  coaming to the aft
corner of the aft hatch, hoping to direct water past the  hatch to the leeward
side of the aft deck. The strip I used was about 3/8 inch  high, and the
water just ran right over it!!!  Next year, I'll try it with  a higher piece, say,
3/4 inch.

I set the strip in 4200, so it should be easy to pull up. The new, higher
strip will go in the same place.

Any suggestions?

Lee
Stargazer #255