[Public-list] Getting to the time to Winterize, Any Suggestions or Checklists

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Nov 13 09:11:24 PST 2005

A few comments:

Cole, Andrew L wrote:
> Is there a general consensus as to when we should winterize our boats in
> the Annapolis area?

I generally figure mid-December is pretty safe.

> Run environmentally safe antifreeze through raw water intake hose until
> it comes out the exhaust.
> Cut off the fuel.

Make sure you warm up the engine before pumping the antifreeze, or else
it will all go through the bypass instead of through the block.  I also
shut the fuel off and run the engine until it quits, to empty the
carburetor.  Since my engine is plumbed so that I have to empty the
external filter also, it runs about 10 minutes.  After then engine dies,
I use the starter to pump the antifreeze through.

> Pull the sparkplugs and squirt Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinder
> heads to "fog" them.

I use about a 1/2 teaspoon of motor oil in each cylinder.  Marvel
Mystery oil is mostly kerosene, and won't coat things very effectively
on its own.

Then I change the oil, since the engine is nice and warm.  (Pulling the
hot sparkplugs can be exciting.)

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                                             'The Middle' by Ogden Nash