[Public-list] Cockpit sole repair avoidance...

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 14 12:38:56 PST 2005

I think this is an excellent 'repair'

Mike Lehman
~~~_/)_/)~~_/)~~~

----Original Message Follows----
From: Dan Sternglass <dans at stmktg.com>
To: Alberg-30 Maiing List <public-list at alberg30.org>
Subject: [Public-list] Cockpit sole repair avoidance...
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:55:54 -0500

Hi A-30 people,

Not sure that I should even admit (let alone suggest) this, but since I
noticed by cockpit floor delaiminating 7 or 8 years ago, my fix was to make
a grate out of 1"x2" oak strips... The sides run fore and aft along the far
right and left, there is a cutout for the tiller surrounded by the 1x2s.
This transfers all the load to the sides. The forward-most horizontal strip
is removable (to clear the winch holders), all the others are epoxied,
screwed and plugged. It also has a notch where the engine controls are. It
took about 20 hours to build it, and I varnish it 2 coats of satin marine
varnish every year, and strip it in the same cycle as the exterior varnish
-- I have had it "Dipped" twice now. If anyone wants a photo, mail me
off-list, it's in my garage right now.

It requires removing the tiller and the two blower vents to install and
remove, a pretty short operation. Looks great, and has let me put off this
cockpit sole repair, as the edges are still quite solid.

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY