[Public-list] Thru Hull Questions

Peter Staehling staehpj1 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 20 13:45:13 PST 2005

I have a few questions about the thru hulls for the
head and for the bilge drain plug.

I have pretty much decided to go the porta potty route
rather than install a tank.  I figure that the  6.2
gallon Thetford will go almost as long between
emptyings (or maybe even as long) as a 12 gallon tank
and a marine head since each flush uses a lot less
water than a marine head.

So that means there are two thru hulls that I no
longer need.  So what is the sensible thing to do?
Just plug the hoses?  Take out the thru hulls and put
in some kind of plug?  Or remove them and glass the
holes shut?  Something else?

When the boat was pulled, the flange/plate that the
bilge drainplug screws into was weeping.  I assume
that I should remove it (three screws), clean it and
the hull where it attaches, and apply some kind of
sealer before reattaching it.  Assuming that is the
right thing to do, what kind of sealer should I use?
It seems like it needs to be something pretty tough
since I really had to crank on the plug to remove it
and broke the seal even more.  It was weeping quite a
bit by the time I got the plug out.

Pete Staehling
Aurora #554