[Public-list] Shipping an Alberg 30 from Lake Erie toKingston (A30 for sale $8, 000)

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 20 18:27:14 PST 2005

Phil;
    Gord is correct that you do not unsterp the mast  to sail from Lake Erie to
Kingston. The rules for the Welland canal are that you need two people to go down
(and three to come up). That canal runs 24/7 from about March to December. I do
that canal trip twice a year to race in Toronto and the one thing you need to
count on is that you never know how long it will take to do that 26 miles. The
best I have done is 6 hours and the worst is 18 hours.  If you only sail in
daytime hours, then you will need at least the 7 days. ( We have also seen folks
have  long delays at Port Colborne if Americans have firearms and don't have
proper documentation of citizenship and boat ownership since this is a Canadian
canal! Leave the guns and ammo at home. ) Ottawa is a long way past Kingston if
you are going to sail to there  though, and if you do the Rideau Canal, the mast
needs to be down. If you go via the St. Lawrence and Ottawa Rivers, the mast can
stay up but it will be another 3 or 4 days, with at least two more canals at Ste.
Anne de Belleview and Carillon. I believe there is a third canal on the St.
Lawrence that you must do to get you past Lachine to Ste. Anne de Belleview.
   Trailering is a sure and easy way to go. Gord mentioned one trucker and there
are others. It would help if you could get a backhaul but then that requires
waiting for the appropriate time. I would not truck a boat in cold weather like
we are having now even with air ride axles. Spring is still the time to do that
too. If you want other truckers names, e-mail me off line. I also have a trailer
but no tractor but my boat is on that unit until next spring. George has a photo
of it on the website.
Don Campbell  #528