[Public-list] Transom numbers

Elaine and Brian Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Tue Nov 29 16:27:56 PST 2005

Perhaps at some point in time a financing or insurance company or a state
registration department wanted it scribed into the transom. As a 1969, the
USCG would not have required it.
When I bought my current boat (vintage 1982) it had a stamped metal plate
rivetted on. That plate indicated what the state of Connecticut wanted it to
show back when she was home ported in Connecticut. My finance company and
the State of New York insisted that I scribe the correct number (as per the
builders certificate) into the hull. Imagine this, the State of New York
would not accept payment of the sales tax or payment for the registration
until I could produce a rubbing of the number from the hull! Coast Guard
didn't care for Documentation so long as I had the Doc # carved in.
Regards,
Brian  ex#497    LF39PH#66  S/V Calico Jack