[Public-list] Slippery hatches - possible solution

John Kennedy John.Kennedy at gov.ab.ca
Thu Nov 10 09:28:06 PST 2005

I haven't had the opportunity to test it out yet, but when I was coating the
cockpit bottom on my Fireball, the local boat-builder told me to mix a
teaspoonful of sugar into one batch of epoxy for the final epoxy coat, then
coat the plywood. NO varnish to be applied thereafter. He told me to sand
the epoxy lightly after that, then rinse with plain warm water. The sanding
would expose the sugar granules and the warm water would dissolve and rinse
out the sugar, leaving a rough non-skid surface.

He also said that after a few years, the final coat of epoxy would begin to
deteriorate in the sunlight, so one would rough-sand and re-do. He said that
was the easiest way to apply a non-skid surface to an epoxy coating.

So far, I have applied the coating, then it got too cold here outside
Edmonton to do the "sand and rinse" test. I won't know if it works until
spring, but the local boatbuilder (small boats and kayaks) is very
experienced and turns out beautiful work.

John
This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and/or privileged information. Please contact the Justice/Solicitor General HelpDesk (Help.Desk at gov.ab.ca) @ (780) 415-2998 immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.