[Public-list] deck repairs

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Nov 13 09:29:02 PST 2005

Peter,

I'm down on the Magothy (actually, my boat is hauled on Rock Creek, at
the moment), and I'd be glad to show you the work I've done on Calypso.
  I've been working on the deck problems a bit at a time (rather than
the whole deck at once) and have learned a few things through trial and
error.

A few comments:

Some cracks are really just the gelcoat, and you can open those cracks
up a bit with a dremel tool or a sharpened church key and fill them with
thickened epoxy resin.  For such really small repairs, you have to use
epoxy or it won't stick.

I detect delamination by sound, tapping on the deck and listening to it.
  You can easily tell the difference between good spots and bad spots,
though it's difficult to tell the exact boundary.  The balsa core of
Calypso had enough rot, and the deck gelcoat was chipped and porous,
that I decided not to worry about salvaging the original non-skid.  I've
been using non-skid beads in Brightsides paint as I refinish sections.
It's *not* as good as the diamond pattern when wet, though, and I think
I'm going to go to rubber granules, instead.  When I get everything
repaired, I plan to repaint the entire deck, perhaps with a two-part paint.

I've been grinding off the upper skin with a 4-inch grinder.  That works
as well as, or better than, a saw--though it does produce a lot of dust.
  If the core is wet, I replace it with a plastic foam core.  If it's a
dry delamination, I leave the balsa.  If it's a mounting spot, I make it
solid glass.  See
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/HullDeck/DeckRepairs/ for more details.

I started with the worst areas, and have made slow and occasional
progress since then.  The most important thing is to seal cracks and
deck hardware to keep the problem from getting worse.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                                             'The Middle' by Ogden Nash