[Public-list] window replacement sealant

Roger L Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Tue Oct 4 12:31:44 PDT 2005

I just read the great piece on window replacement on the A30 web site (thanks for posting it George) and have a couple of questions.  The author uses silicone but said some prefer 5200.  Others suggested butyl rubber but Don Campbell indicated it degrades Lean.  Any thoughts on what sealant is best?  Has anyone heard of sealant that comes in a tape that can be placed on the frames and pressed out once the bolts are tightened?

A slick technique to avoid getting sealant on the new Plexiglas is described but there is no mention of keeping goop off the inside and outside of the cabin.  I assume it is desirable to tape off these areas but also wonder if there are good sealants that can be easily removed with a solvent that doesn't damage paint?  I can't even pour a cup of coffee without spilling and anticipate substantial clean up will be necessary if I am doing the job.

Thanks,

Roger

Roger Kingsland
Chief Boat Boy, Rubber/Scraper and Check Writer
Alberg 30 #148, PERFECT intentions
N40-33.92, W79-51.25