[Public-list] Re: Reefing Lines

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Fri Oct 14 11:05:28 PDT 2005

Regarding Ed's question about multiple clutches,  on Quest I have a total
of seven clutches three on port and four on starboard and the arrangement
works very well. The port side has the outhaul and two slab reefing lines
for the first reefing point.  On starboard I have clutches for the rigid
vang and main halyard plus two that I alternatively use for tack and clew
for the second reefing point or the spinnaker halyard and spinnaker
topping lift.  Unless I intend to sail in pretty frisky conditions,  I
usually leave the spinnaker lines attached.  There are winches on both
sides immediately behind the clutches.    The jib halyard still runs to
the mast winch since I have Sheaffer furling gear on the headsail.