[Public-list] fiberglassing

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Mon Oct 3 10:40:20 PDT 2005

Patty,

I have a friend that is a Professional boat Restorer - mega yacht variety.
I have been working on a few boats including an Alberg 30 and an older
lightning.

I have gone over the epoxy v. polyester issue a few times and this is the
fact... epoxy bonds 1000 times better than polyester. The reality is that
often old polyester layup will not bond well at all to new polyester
resin. However the epoxy grabs on very nicely. Yes you do need to paint
the resin/job once done. SO what. You can also do a gelcoat as well but
more headache. DO the layup. Then reinforce/shape with microballoons &
microfibers - collodial silica. This will provide nice strength. Then
paint with either a 2 part epoxy paint or a polyurethane. Either way you
will have protected the job.

here is a little write up on polyester vs. epoxy
http://www.redrockstore.com/resin.htm

MAS epoxy is sold by boaters world and West System has a few articles they
sell that give you step by step directions on doing the repairs.

--
C.B. Currier
Infinity #57